Read First!

If you are a student, or parent of a student, in any of Mr. Scott's 2009-2010 Grade 11 classes, including Advanced Placement Language & Composition, you are in the WRONG place!

Please continue to the appropriate blog by clicking on the correct link below:

Eleventh Grade Enlgish

AP English 11 Language & Composition

Monday, March 24, 2008

Poetic Format 1: Biographical Poem

As we begin to prepare for National Poetry Month, students will be drafting a variety of pieces using different "poetic formats." The intent is for students to write their drafts in the Writing Journal, where they will be stored for future revision and, eventually, publication. All poems will be evaluated using a previously discussed Poetry Rubric. (which is also taped inside your student's Writing Journal).

The first assigned format should be familiar to our students as it was also employed as a means of analyzing the character of Sarney in Gary Paulsen's Nightjohn. This time, though, the subject of the poem is not a historical figure or fictional character, but the student them self!

Biographical Poem Template

FIRST STANZA
I am (two special characteristics that you have)
I wonder (something you are actually curious about)
I hear (an imaginary sound)
I see (an imaginary sight)
I want (an actual desire)
I am (the first line of the poem repeated)

SECOND STANZA
I pretend (something you actually pretend to do)
I feel (a feeling about something imaginary)
I touch (an imaginary touch)
I worry (something that really bothers you)
I cry (something that makes you very sad)

THIRD STANZA
I understand (something you know is true)
I say (something you believe in)
I dream (something you actually dream about)
I try (something you really make an effort about)
I hope (something you actually hope for)
I am (the first line of the poem repeated)


Read Up and Write On!

0 comments: